Major Charles Lomax
1850 – 1916
Relationship with the Hatfield and St Albans Railway Company:
- M.C. Lomax was appointed Secretary at the Board meeting of 29th July 1880, in place of the late Alexander Forbes, whom he had assisted.
- He signed newspaper notices as Major C. Lomax.
- Born in 1850, in Hackney, Middlesex, of Joseph S. and Juliet Lomax.
- Married Mary Jane Armson, at Hackney, London, in 1876.
- Died on 19th November 1916.
- Probate to Mary Jane Lomax, widow, on 2nd December 1916, at Lewes: effects £281.10.4.
- He was Company Secretary of:
- The Hatfield & St Albans Railway Company (1880-4).
- He was assistant Secretary of:
- The great Northern Railway Company (1902).
- 11 Sussex Place, Shoreditch, Middlesex.
- 20 Park Road, Hackney, Middlesex.
- 162 Albion Road, South Hornsey, Middlesex.
- 27 Clissold Road, Stoke Newington, London (1891 census, 1891-5 Electoral Registers).
- 23 Clissold Road, Stoke Newington, London (1897-8 Electoral Register).
- 135 Green Lanes, Islington.
- Richmond Villa, Somerset Road, New Barnet, Hertfordshire.
- 27 Sackville Gardens, Hove, Sussex (at time of death).
He, his parents and 1 half-brother are at 11 Sussex Place, Shoreditch, Middlesex, in the 1851 census (recorded as Charles U. Lomax).
He, his parents, 1 sister, 1 brother, 1 half-brother and 3 others are at 20 Park Road, Hackney, Middlesex, in the 1861 census.
He, his parents and 1 sister are at 20 Park Road, Hackney, Middlesex, in the 1871 census: Clerk.
He, his wife, 1 daughter and 1 servant are at 162 Albion Road, Hornsey, Middlesex, in the 1881 census: Railway Secretary.
He, his wife, 1 daughter, 2 sons and 2 servants are at 27 Clissold Road, Stoke Newington, London, in the 1891 census: Railway secretary.
He, his wife, 1 daughter, 1 son and 1 servant are at Richmond Villa, Somerset Road, New Barnet, Hertfordshire, in the 1911 census: he is Asst Secretary, G N Ry Co.
Information gathered from:
- The Hatfield & St Albans Railway Company Minute Book.
- Census returns.
- Wills Index.
- The Times Digital Archive.
- Marriage Index.
- Electoral registers.