: Welcome to the Smallford Forums.

: Forthcoming visit to HALS - 20 March 2013  ( 5347 )

JM

• : 20
    • AutoVolt Magazine
Forthcoming visit to HALS - 20 March 2013
« : March 12, 2013, 12:13:31 PM »
Hello all,

I thought it might be an idea to discuss what topics/archives everyone was hoping to look at so as not everyone is looking at the same things at the same time, or ordering to view the same document as someone else might have already done.

I was hoping to look at anything to do with the construction of the Station (if at all possible) - I write this before having had a look at the archive search online though.

What is everyone else hoping to look at?

johndarnton

• : 8
Re: Forthcoming visit to HALS - 20 March 2013
« #1 : March 12, 2013, 12:37:37 PM »
I was thinking along the same lines. I'm interested in the railway itself, including plans for railways that didn't materialise. As I'm about to go out, I don't have the time yet for a detailed look at the list supplied in Jeff's email, but will take a look later. As we get to know each other, and our interests, I'm sure we'll get some sort of plan together for selecting material, perhaps forming sub-groups of like-minded individuals.

JM

• AutoVolt Magazine
« #2 : March 12, 2013, 02:16:04 PM »
Thanks for the input John.

Having done a quick but very brief search on the HALS website: http://calm.hertsdirect.org/calmview/
I've found this which might be of interest to Smallford residents? (though I admit, not particularly relevant to the Smallford Station Project)!

SYSTEM ID:  CDECp/11/2/P2
HALS REFERENCE NUMBER:  DE/Cp/P2
TITLE:  Plan of part of the Manor of Park in the hamlets of Sleap and Smallford in the parishes of St Peter and St Stephen in the county of Hertford by Thomas Godman
DATE:  1821

GNR1247

• : 7
« #3 : March 12, 2013, 06:05:11 PM »
Hello all,

I thought it might be an idea to discuss what topics/archives everyone was hoping to look at so as not everyone is looking at the same things at the same time, or ordering to view the same document as someone else might have already done.

I was hoping to look at anything to do with the construction of the Station (if at all possible) - I write this before having had a look at the archive search online though.

What is everyone else hoping to look at?

I, too, am interested in anything on the construction of the station - the main building that still exists and its former associated operations structures relating to goods, passengers and staff. 

I'm particularly keen to see large-scale OS maps dating from c.1865 to c.1969, to see changes over the years and make sure nothing of significance is missed in developing the planned model.

I'm also keen to see any photos there might be (beyond those I've already seen) in the same vein, and also more views of the traffic carried on the branch, especially from the late 50's to late 60's.

Alastair

johndarnton

« #4 : March 13, 2013, 10:02:49 AM »
I have now had time to look through Rudi's excellent list and have come up with my list of "Favourites" - top being best:
R614-616 (Three people could look at these),
R611-613 (again, three),
R605-610 (six lots),
DE/P/P52,
DP/4/28/3,
DEGA36085-7.
Are any of these on anyone else's wish list? If not, I'll pre-order R614-616.

GNR1247

• : 7
« #5 : March 13, 2013, 01:39:34 PM »
I have now had time to look through Rudi's excellent list and have come up with my list of "Favourites" - top being best:
R614-616 (Three people could look at these),
R611-613 (again, three),
R605-610 (six lots),
DE/P/P52,
DP/4/28/3,
DEGA36085-7.
Are any of these on anyone else's wish list? If not, I'll pre-order R614-616.

Hi John/All,

I've just put in a 'Request List' to HALS (copy attached) comprising most of Rudi's highlighted items, and thus most of your 'Favourites' - EXCEPT R611-613 and R614-616, so, over to you, to order those.
See you on Wednesday.

Alastair

johndarnton

« #6 : March 14, 2013, 12:11:28 PM »
Good work! I suspect that your first three items will materialise, as there is an order restriction of three items, but they may not tell you (by email) until after the event (if they take the full 10 days). My advice to thers would be that if you want anything other than the first three, then order them yourselves.

JM

• AutoVolt Magazine
« #7 : March 14, 2013, 12:27:41 PM »
As per the emails which have been circulating, it is worth mentioning the way the archives tend to work (I say tend as I've not been to HALS before, but have been the The National Archives).

You are usually allowed to
order three documents at a time.  Once those three documents have been delivered to you though, you are able to order three more and so on.  In effect you don't necessarily need to have seen the first three before you can order three more.  So, with Rudi's list, I imagine that if we want to see everything all at the start of our day there, we would need to split up the list into groups of three (groups of documents that is, not viewers/readers).

Hope that is useful!  I intend to go about photographing all the documents (which can be painstaking depending on the document so bare with me)!

johndarnton

« #8 : March 15, 2013, 10:23:20 PM »
I have just ordered R614-616.