1834 – 1880
Relationship with the Hatfield and St Albans Railway Company:
- Alexander Phorbes was appointed Secretary at the second Board meeting, on 17th April 1863.
- Born on 31st October 1834 at Artillery Barracks, Woolwich, Kent, of James Staats & Ann Forbes.
- Baptised on 30th November 1834 at St Mary Magdalene, Woolwich, Kent.
- Married Alice Susan Adam on 6th August 1864 at St Mary, Staines, Surrey: Gentleman, of Islington.
- Died at midnight on 24th January 1880, from pneumonia, at 1 Kent Gardens, Ealing, Middlesex.
- Will proved on 17th March 1880: effects under £7,000.
- (Wife died on 17th August 1903: probate 28th November 1903: £4,243.10.10.)
- He was Company Secretary of:
- The Watford & Rickmasworth Railway Company.
- The Uxbridge & Rickmasworth Railway Company.
- The Rickmasworth, Amersham & Chesham Railway Company.
- The Hatfield & St Albans Railway Company (1863).
- The Nowgong Tea Company of Assam (Limited) (c1865).
- The Chubwa Tea Company of Assam (Limited) (c1865).
- The Great Northern Railway Company (c1870-1880).
- The Royston & Hitchin Railway Company (c1873).
- The Great Eastern & Great Northern Joint Lines (c1880)
- 3 Kent Gardens, Ealing, Middlesex.
- Ditchwater Lane, Woolwich, Kent.
- 18 Hemmingford Lane, Islington, Middlesex.
- Castle Hill, Ealing, Middlesex (Electoral Register, 1871-9).
- 1 Kent Gardens, Ealing, Middlesex.
He, his parents, 1 sister and 3 brothers are at Ditchwater Lane, Woolwich, Kent, in the 1841 census.
He, his mother, 1 sister, 1 brother and 1 servant are at 18 Hemmingford Lane, Islington, in the 1851 census: Railway Clerk.
He, his wife, 2 daughters, 1 son and 2 servants are at 3 Kent Gardens, Ealing, Middlesex, in the 1871 census: Railway secretary.
Information gathered from:
- The Hatfield & St Albans Railway Company Minute Book.
- Census returns.
- Wills Index.
- The Times Digital Archive.
- Parish Registers.
- Electoral registers.