In 1861 only two or three plaiters and hat makers are mentioned. Although this does not mean that others were not carrying out this work, but there may have been a reason to keep the information to themselves. Several women left the occupation column blank. A social history of local politics, attitudes and views might reveal more.
There was also an increasing range of occupations for women. Hannah Bayley, living with her 3-year-old nephew, revealed she was a charwoman. Ruth Dunham, living in one of the Hatfield Road cottages, was a housekeeper, although, of course, we are not to know where. Now that the relatively new Oaklands Mansion was in full use there were live-in jobs for a cook, house maid and lady’s maid; also a coachman, a job which went to John Moore. Edward Browne, describing himself as a corn factor, was the head of household at the Mansion.
Back at the Horseshoes hamlet, the tollgate was managed by Rebecca Simpkins and her daughter, also Rebecca. For the first time we discover that husband William, previously tenant at the public house and then reduced to farm labourer, had died. So this was a new opportunity for Rebecca, now that William Berry was no longer in the parish.
Thirteen occupants of the public house were from three distinct family groups, but none is shown as a publican’s family. Across the road, the beer house, now called The Ship instead of the Tom & Jerry, is being run by John and Elizabeth McNair; John’s main occupation is a wheelwright. He would be followed in the next two decades by a number of fellow Scottish families, encouraged south to manage farms as they changed from grain to dairy and beef.
The Pugh family, having a long association with the parish, have made their first appearance; Philip, Mary and their children lived in one of the Hatfield Road cottages, with Philip’s occupation as a hay dealer.
The blacksmith’s shop next to the Three Horseshoes seems to have experienced a similar downturn, for it is not mentioned in 1861. However, two branches of the Shepherd family have come to the parish and both were residing at Wilkins Green. There was Joseph and Ann with their 8 children living in one house. Then there was possibly Joesph’s parents, William and Martha and two remaining children living nearby. Since there is only known to have been one forge at Wilkins Green, perhaps either Joseph or William worked the forge at the blacksmith’s shop next to the public house.
Finally, a few of the men who were previously named as labourers or agricultural workers, are now shown as farmers. So there was William Brinklow at Wilkins Green Farm and John Field at Popefield Farm.
The image below is of the homestead at Smallford Farm. For further information about the original Smallford hamlet please see The Original Settlement of Smallford post. Image courtesy the Brian Anderson Collection.