This website serves Smallford residents and provides information about Smallford’s past, present and future. Smallford and its surrounding areas are steeped in history, including the aerodrome at Hatfield, De Havilland’s airplane manufacture, the world’s first jet airliner (the Comet) and much more.
Welcome to the Smallford Station & Alban Way Heritage Society homepage. On this site you will find all the latest information about the society, workshops and associated activities in one handy place. If you’d like to get involved or find out more, click the button below!
Smallford Residents’ Association announcements and information will be posted on this website. Please check it frequently for important news and updates. Here, you will find information about planning proposals, objections, and much more that concern the local community.
We are thrilled to have received the support of the Heritage Lottery Fund and are confident the project will support many local people in following and developing their interests in a wide range of areas – e.g. researching, interviewing, creating videos, designing exhibitions, developing a website, writing stories. We are particularly excited at the thought of finding people who recall the station and branch line when they were operating and capturing their memories for posterity!Jeff Lewis
Latest Smallford News
Latest news for the local community of Smallford
The very long Reading and Hatfield Turnpike Trust road, 51 miles, interconnected with other turnpike roads, and came into use in the 1760s. At the Hatfield end it began at what was then the Old Fiddle public house (now Old Fiddle Cottages), making a connection with...read more
The parish of St Peter constructed an isolation hospital for infectious diseases. It was a large house which included private accommodation for a nurse. Food and other requirements were left at the gate and collected by the nurse in charge. Although it is not known...read more
In a demonstration of the reliance on horses and simple machinery for much of the farm work, as well as the needs of travellers, there were three farriers within a short distance of each other during the 19th century. The blacksmith’s forge next to the Three...read more
The Trust of the turnpike road, which came into use in the 1760s, felt there was a need to establish a toll gate at the cross roads, and a corner-facing brick-built tollkeeper’s house was constructed.The toll gate encouraged the siting of a public house – the Three...read more
This map was drawn by Dury and Andrews in 1766, and was surveyed a few years before the Reading and Hatfield Turnpike Trust arrived to toll the Hatfield road (the west-east road in the top third of the map below). To the left is the hamlet of Smallford, named Small...read more
This map, made by William Kip and printed a full two centuries before the first Ordnance Survey map (1834), helps us to understand why all maps are not the same. On the Kip map Smallford is not even marked and named, but that is not to say there was no farm or...read more