The Constitution of the Smallford Station & Alban Way Heritage Society was agreed at a meeting held on Monday 10th April 2017 in the Central Committee Room of UH McLaurin Building. The Society will take over from, and extend the work of the Bringing the History of Smallford Station to Life project. We welcome new members – both individual and corporate. The meeting was followed by a presentation by Ellie Beach of the Countryside Management Service (CMS) who demonstrated the hard work that has been put in restoring parts of the Alban Way, including the recent works undertaken at Smallford Station platform, and its future (click here for more info & pictures).
Our objectives are
- To encourage and promote the education of the general public in the study of the heritage of the former Hatfield to St Albans Railway (now the Alban Way foot- and cycle-path) and the impact that this had, and continues to have, on the surrounding communities and environment.
- To research, collect, communicate and exhibit all historical and educational artefacts connected with Alban Way which the Society may be able to acquire together with related items of local interest.
- To raise funds as may be required for its work and, if and when possible, for the purchase or lease of property and land to establish a heritage centre for accommodating and demonstrating the exhibits. It shall also have power to do all such lawful things as will further its objects.
- To develop the knowledge, skills and competences of the members of the Society in conserving, researching and sharing the heritage, wildlife, nature, walking and cycling in the area and anything else that the Society deems appropriate.
We continue to provide presentations, exhibitions and guided walks on our work, including the following forthcoming events –
- 19th April Presentation to Friends of Welwyn Hatfield Museum
- 29th April Exhibition in Hitchin
- 13th & 17th May Alban Way Guided Walks – with a return ride on a vintage bus
- 3th – 4th June Exhibition @ St Albans Steam & Country Show
- 6th June Presentation to The Enfield Transport Circle (TETC)
- 5th July Presentation to WH U3A
- 14th October Presentation to St Albans History Network (at Verulamium Museum)
We are also working on Cataloguing and Archiving our Collection – a very challenging project!.