Following on from our previous article about the discovery of some original footage of Smallford Station in 1930, courtesy of the film Rookery Nook, we have now had kind permission to display the film clips for everyone to enjoy.
Around 5 minutes into Reel 5 of the film a train appeared, arriving at Smallford Station. The sign that can be seen on the lamp post reads, “Chumpton on Sea” as does the half visible sign on the station building itself. This was a ficticious name used only for the film.
The train seen is a LNER 2641 as was used on the Hatfield and St Albans Railway branch line, opened in 1865 by the Great Northern Railway (GNR). Smallford (nee Springfield) Station was opened in 1866 the following year.
The next shot in the clip above includes an original station sign where you can see the wording, “for Colney Heath”- presumably either “Stop here for Colney Heath” or “Smallford for Colney Heath”.
The last clip from the film was likely taken on the same stretch of railway line; between Hatfield and St Albans along the old branch line that is now the Alban Way foot & cycle path.
With kind permission from the Wilcox/Neagle Estate & the British Film Institute (BFI).