C. J. Whitehead, D.C.M.
Relationship with the Hatfield and St Albans branch:
- Stationmaster at St Albans (later St Albans London Road), 1920 – 1926.
- Joined the Midland Railway in 1891 at Heeley, Sheffield.
- Worked at Hampton station (1893).
- Worked at Attercliffe station (1894).
- Goods Clerk at Staveley station(1895-1900).
- Worked on the Canadian Pacific Railway, in an area from Montreal to Vancouver.
- Worked in Hong Kong.
- Joined the Great Northern Railway at Daybrook.
- Went to Derby and the North Stafford District (for 5 years).
- On the outdoor representative staff at Birmingham, 1911.
- Senior member of the Great Northern Railway contingent selected to go to France, 1915.
- Sergeant-Major in the 21st Broad Gauge Operating Co. of the Royal Engineers.
- Awarded the Croix de Guerre, 1916.
- Awarded the D.C.M. for conspicuous gallantry at Ypres, 1917.
- Awarded the Ordre Leopold II, with the rank of Chevalier, 1918, for work dealing with the despatch of refugees from the scene of operations.
- Stationmaster at St Albans, 1920-26.
- Station House, Great Northern Railway, St Albans, Hertfordshire.
Information gathered from:
- The Roger Taylor archive (The Hertfordshire News).
- Midland Railway employment records.